Sunday, February 10, 2013

Daybook - Sunday, 10 February, 2013

Outside my window...

I was chatting with my friend in the Boston area yesterday, and she told me they were literally snowed in, as in, they couldn’t get their front door open. Sitting here, I close my eyes, imagine that, and then I open them again. Outside my window it is sunny, warm (over 70°F), Sunday calm with not as many cars and happy families strolling along the blue Mediterranean sea. What a contrast.

I am wearing...

My regular pink striped H&M maternity t-shirt and my Motherhood maternity jeans. I've completely given up on finding maternity wear here, and will just rotate the same few outfits that I have until I'm done. It's getting really, terribly boring, but what can I do?

I am thankful for...

...the fact that, under the circumstances, I am physically doing really well. Although I can’t wait for the day it is safe for this baby to come out, I am cherishing these days-weeks of calm, expectation and preparation.

On my mind...

You mean apart from what is going on in my body? My pregnancy brain is on a mission: to prepare our family for the birth. This involves so much more than buying diapers (check!) and washing baby clothes (check!): school work, organization, planning, paperwork (taxes, passports, VISA, tickets, etc.), stocking up… As things to do pop into my head I transfer them to a list in my calendar. Then I try to get something done every day. Although we still have six weeks, technically, I prefer to have everything done sooner rather than later. Partially because you never know, right? But also because I know I will run out of energy, and I would like to spend some time on Lent and everything that it entails.

Towards an education...

We have almost reached the renaissance in our history studies, which is the goal of this semester. The boys just finished their special projects on Hildegard von Bingen, the Black Death, and the crusades, and this week we will study Asia during medieval times. August just finished the Canterbury tales and Ivanhoe this weekend (William is almost done with his abridged version), both boys are reading the stories of Shakespeare, and we’re continuing with Thomas Aquinas, which triggers some very interesting discussions around the dinner table. Despite some difficult days last week, I’m quite happy with the way things are going.

From the kitchen...

Every cabinet is full of food and drinks, the fridge is well stocked, as is the freezer. We went to the store this weekend, and there are well over a dozen meals to choose from. Today we went through an entire water melon, had spinach salad, and then roast chicken with broccoli, potatoes, gravy, and cranberries. Tomorrow we will have something that involves leftover roast chicken and potatoes – probably potato salad – along with more fresh spinach salad (I got two pounds for a dollar).

Around the house...

I’m enjoying our tidy house this evening, which has been cleaned up for a busy week: laundry has been put away, toys, books, electronics – everything is in its place. The kitchen is clean. I even managed to clean out and sort our dumping ground for everything of any importance bookshelf at some point last week so it looks nice and tidy. Don’t worry though – by 11 am tomorrow morning our house will be a mess again.

Some plans for the week...

Apart from all our regular work and activities, we have the three day marathon of Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, and Valentine’s Day lined up this week, with the special meals, special activities and events that these days entail. On Friday I am going in for my placenta accreta MRI and then we are celebrating a friend’s birthday. There’s another social event planned for the coming weekend. Maybe I can get some work in too?

No comments:

Post a Comment