Happy New Year! Last night, we celebrated one of the most quiet New Year’s eves in a long time – it was just right for this tired, pregnant mama. The boys helped me set up a feast with candles and stars decorating the table, Courtney played music, and I made a great dinner:
- Asparagus pate on whole wheat bread with mini pickles and cranberries
- Cocktail salad with freshly fried shrimp and homemade thousand island dressing
- Seared salmon steaks with fresh asparagus, carrots and homemade hollandaise sauce
- Virgin New Year’s punch à la mama (home squeezed tangerine juice, pineapple juice, passion fruit soda and 7 up)
- Homemade cooked eggnog (Thank God for food thermometers!)
- Fruit salad with fresh strawberries, kiwi and grapes
After our late dinner I cleaned up and finished the last laundry of the year, and then we went for a walk along the sea, trying to spot some fireworks. There really wasn’t much this year, but enough to satisfy the little one, who managed to stay awake until we came home right after 12:30 am. The boardwalk was crowded with families and friends celebrating the new year, singing, listening to music, drinking, smoking shisha, and dancing. The sky was clear, and I would even say it was a little chilly – enough to warrant a sweater and/or a windbreaker. I really enjoyed walking with my little family; what a great way to end the old year and bring in the new.