Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Doctor's visit

I took Abraham to the doctor today. I have found a family doctor at the clinic that I like and she had 15 minutes open today. She is very, very young and obviously not very experienced, but this means that she looks things up twice, and is very thorough. She is not arrogant or ignorant like some other doctors I’ve met here, and she listens to me and is attentive.

She examined both Abraham and me very thoroughly. It is obvious that she likes Abraham; she takes her time to chat with him, and he’s always very cute and well-behaved in her office. He takes deep breaths and says “Ahhhh!” when she asks him. Today he clarified several times, “NO shots today!” just to make sure she understood that he had no intention of receiving any vaccinations. (Last time we went was for his boosters.) He is extremely ticklish and starts giggling as soon as she gets her stethoscope out. When she looked at his spots today he started laughing out loud. She thought his infection was still viral and since there were some signs that he might be improving, that we should wait a couple of more days – if he doesn’t get better he’ll need antibiotics. I like this approach.

I however was diagnosed with bronchitis and a sinus infection. The fever, my sinuses, and my chest spoke for themselves. Hello, Augmentin.

Here's an interesting fact for you: this is my fourth pregnancy and I got sick like this during every single one of them. I had pneumonia at 10 weeks with my first, bronchitis at 14 weeks with my second, pneumonia at 12 weeks with my third, and now bronchitis at 16 weeks with my fourth. When they say that your immune system is weakened during pregnancy as not to attack the baby, they really aren't kidding!

Before we left, the doctor also got a Doppler out to listen to the baby’s heartbeat. Abraham listened for a long time, and then looked at the doctor. Then he looked at me and asked, “Is the doctor going to take the baby out now?” He wanted to meet him brother/sister. I told him that the baby needs to grow a little more - that he’s not ready to come out, and our young family doctor, who looked a bit shocked, piped in, “And I’m certainly not ready either!”

No comments:

Post a Comment