Friday, October 5, 2012

Daybook - Friday, 5 October, 2012


Outside my window…

The kids are all playing together outside in the playground, the older ones chasing the younger ones around. The sun is shining on them, but it’s not too hot anymore, just in the high 70’s, which makes playing tag so much more enjoyable. There’s a light breeze from the sea, spreading the salty scents of the Mediterranean through my open balcony doors into our home.

I am wearing...

An Old Navy pink maternity ruched slub-knit scoop tee and a pair of Old Navy low-rise waist maternity jeans. Yeah, I'll get to that. Let's say I'm comfortable.

I am thankful for…

So much right now! The blessings of new life, and the ability to provide, teach and enjoy. There’s basically no money in our bank account for the moment (we’re still in that intermediate lapse that happens to us at the beginning of fall every year: we have spent everything we had on trips and education for the new academic year, but we are still waiting for refunds and allowances to cover those expenses) – but I feel so rich and so, so very blessed.

I am thinking about…

Focusing on the present: the professor has a major book manuscript due in a few days, AND an award ceremony he has to attend (abroad!), PLUS some other issues that have to be taken care of in the next couple of weeks, and his business impacts our entire existence right now. I have to stay on top of housework, laundry, shopping, cooking, the boys’ school work and everything else, or it will all fall apart. To top it off, August is turning 11 next week and has requested a party, with pizza, cake, and games, AND I have some pretty large jobs coming in, which means I will be spending a lot of hours working this week. The next seven days will be a big challenge! (Especially since we can’t afford to order out.)

Towards an education…

Slow and steady.

I love, love, LOVE our new Rod & Staff grammar books! THIS is grammar, I keep thinking to myself when I see it. It’s perfect. Together with the Spelling Workout program, our self-constructed “Word-roots, suffixes and prefixes” course, Writing Strands, and a great reading list, our English program this year is very solid.

Everything else is progressing well too. We’re good. In this region, we’re good.

From the kitchen…

I have no inspiration. At all. Last night I made baked potatoes for dinner. In the microwave. With some veggies on the side, and a lot of fruit for dessert (a generous neighbor brought some fantastic fresh grapes down from their property in the mountains, and apples are in season and really good right now). I’m not sure what you can call it, but it’s not cooking.

I am working on…

I am growing a life. Not metaphorically but literally. And it’s more work than I remember: most literature and advice tell me I “will feel better towards the end of the first trimester,” but really, this has come and gone, and I have yet to see any improvement.

Yes, it turned out my out-of-the-ordinary problems at the end of the summer were much more out-of-the-ordinary than expected. I will share details later. For now though, let’s just say: I know, right!?

And if you know of any energy-improving remedies for women in my condition, let me know. God knows I could use some over the next couple of weeks.

I am reading…

In the Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, for our book club. I vaguely remember it from high school, but it’s different this time, since I’ve lived in Africa, and I’m older and more experienced; I’m really enjoying it in a whole new light. It makes me think of other books I should re-read. What books would you choose?

Around the house…

It’s not too bad, actually, considering, but our house is bare; I just manage to keep things tidy and relatively clean (much thanks to our cleaning lady who comes once/week) but I can’t seem to get to the decorating part. I would like to create art with the boys, and make our home warm, cozy and fall-like. Now, our living room and kitchen look like someone put everything away and cleaned up in anticipation of something new arriving. Only, there’s nothing in the making, because by the time I’ve finished with the boys’ most essential work, my own work, and the house every day, I’m too beat to do anything extra or creative. Sigh. Maybe I’ll get a refreshing burst of energy this coming weekend. (My hopeful thought at the beginning of every week for the past few weeks.)

Any ideas for easy, beautiful fall crafts that don’t require a lot of special materials?

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful news! I hope the pregnancy goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete