Friday, March 16, 2012

Friday Daybook, March 16, 2012


Outside my window…

It’s pouring rain! Dark clouds and loud thunders. Everything is soaking wet. This morning when I woke up, the wind from the sea was so strong I thought the palm trees outside our window would break off. The rain was coming down sideways. People are saying this is one of the last storms before spring and summer. After our rain-less years in Cairo, I didn’t think I could get sick of the weather here, but I have to admit that I’m starting to look forward to those sunny, hot, Mediterranean summer days very much.

I am wearing…

My sports outfit; blue sweats, long sleeved black t-shirt, sports bra, since I’m hoping to get my exercise in before lunch. Although it certainly doesn’t look like I’ll be running around the track today. Treadmill at the gym or Mel B Wii? I don’t know if I could make it to the gym without getting soaked.

I am reading…

I wish! Since I have 20,000 words left to translate of this book on project management, and only four days left to do it, I have time only for the bare necessities; housework, exercise, kids. A little sleep.

I am listening to…

I’m sitting in the living room chair with the balcony behind me, and I can hear the rain hitting the trees outside. August is whispering numbers to himself as he goes through his math lesson at the dinner table. William is reading a story to Abraham about frogs, taking a break from Laura’s star, which is requested by our obsessed three year old at least twenty times a day. Abraham repeats every word William reads. Courtney is reading quietly, chuckling now and then when he picks something up that Abraham says. These are all my favorite sounds.

Towards an education…

Prof. Husband has taken over science, which means the boys are sitting through a lot of lectures that are way above their levels, doing assignments I have no idea how they get through, and are following some kind of MIT correspondence course. Prof. Husband says, “it’s not THAT much more advanced!” I’m sitting back to see where this is going. Since these boys’ father interpreted Nietzsche at the age of twelve and solved advanced mathematical university graduate degree problems at sixteen, it might not be a disaster. We’ll see.

From the kitchen…

As this is a busy, busy work week, we went shopping and are prepared for the week that is the week of familiar, easy meals that we could make in our sleep. Taco salad (so easy!), Spaghetti Bolognese (easy and cheap), baked fish with veggies & mashed potatoes (because that’s what we had once/week when I was little), Lasagna (because I already made the sauce for the Spaghetti Bolognese – duh!), cauliflower soup (easy and popular), chicken curry with naan (easy and popular, the boys would eat this every day), borsht (easy and cheap), chicken wings (too cheap! I am the only one in the family who doesn’t like it), Bouillabaisse (our comfort food), sandwiches and Ramen noodles for lunch (easy + the boys can make it themselves)…

What are your “easy meals?” The meals that you end up having a lot, for whatever reason. And why do you? Is it because they’re easy, because they’re popular, cheap, or what…?

I am looking forward to…

When I have a moment…

Just put those last two together!

No comments:

Post a Comment