Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Daybook, 2 March, 2012


Outside my window…

We’ve had several days of stormy weather; thunder, lightning, strong winds, pouring rain, and loud, roaring waves beating against the shore across the street. Today the sun came out during the morning, shining on everything green, and it made me happy.

I am wearing…

My favorite Lindex black & white checkered blouse, a worn out, black H&M cardigan that I have mended more times than I can remember, soft, stretchy black jeans from Kohl’s, thick, black Hanes sports socks, and a pair of Birkenstock that are barely staying together. It’s a comfortable kind of day.

I am reading…

Diane Keaton’s Then Again. I should be reading many other things, like the books for my book club, but Diane Keaton just makes me feel so good and happy inside, I can’t help it.

I am listening to…

The boys reenacting the Dumpling Warrior scene from Kung FuPanda II, using cherry tomatoes. I see a big mess in my near future.

Towards an education…

I’ve been doing assessments over these past couple of days, reviewing the fall semester’s work, while teaching the boys to study and take tests. They are not very good at it. They ask for help when they are not certain about something, yell out for spelling advice, or get themselves a snack in the middle of everything. When they are finished and we go over their answers, they want to correct any mistake on the spot and look up the rule as not to make the same error again. Then when we’re done and I take off points for the mistakes they made, and they only get 94% instead of 100%, they cry bitterly for several minutes with their head in a pillow over their ‘failure’. I tell them that the important thing is that they learned, and that they won’t make the same mistakes again. Besides, 94% isn’t the end of the world. “But I worked SO HARD, mama, and unless I get all correct, it’s doesn’t really count, does it?” I shall call this homeschooling syndrome “Grade Innocence.”

From the kitchen…

Dinner: chicken wings, beans, cucumber sticks, and carrots/potato tartine. We are way overdue our shopping day, and are scraping by on whatever we can find here and there; frozen meats, canned foods… The good news is that I can’t randomly eat food that is around the house, available within a nibble’s reach; the bad news is that every meal takes effort and time, generates a lot of dishes, and might not always contain something from every food group. Tomorrow we’ll go to the store.

I am looking forward to…

Tonight I am going out with my friends to the Hard Rock Café here in Beirut for Karaoke. This is very exciting as 1/I usually never go out, like *ever*, and 2/although I love singing, I have never done Karaoke before. I am very excited!

When I have a moment…

Ha! That will be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment