Saturday, February 18, 2012

A calm Friday night by the raging sea


Last night was a non-eventful Friday night. The kind of Friday night I love, once in a while: no commitments, stormy weather outside, no work, and nothing urgent hanging over me. An entire evening to watch a movie with the boys, bake cupcakes, make popcorn, finish off school work and chores at a leisurely pace, fold and put away laundry, change the sheets on all the beds, and read on the couch. Towards the end of the night, the adults watched a movie together, Take Shelter, which got 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. It was a bit late for me – I drifted off to sleep several times – but the movie was well done, and the ending didn't bother me as much as endings like that usually do. 

Once in bed, I fell asleep to the sound of the strong wind, beating rain and loudest of them all, the Mediterranean. The winds were pulling on the palm trees outside my window, and once in a while I could hear something break off somewhere, and swish away. Every crease in the house made a singing, winy sound. The sea was very, very loud. I heard thundering waves crash against the shore, pounding the boardwalk, over and over again with the heavy, raging sea.

When I woke up it was light outside and I looked out the window; the waves were still big, but not as wild as they had been during the night. 

During the morning, the sea has calmed down, and now the sun is even peeking through. Time to get moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment