Friday, April 1, 2011

History of China and Japan, and The last Samurai


Today, while I was going through a final review with the boys of the history of China and Japan, where they tell me the story and as many details as they can remember, using our map and self-created illustrated time-line, Courtney came over to the kitchen table, which is where most of our school-work is done, to check his mail, and ended up listening in. Towards the end of the story – our last class on the history of China and Japan – he commented, “Now the boys know more about Chinese and Japanese history than I ever did throughout my entire life.” Coming from a professor of humanities, I think that’s a compliment: to the boys for learning so well, and to me for creating such a great history curriculum. Pride on a Friday during Lent. Forgive me!

As a reward for their hard work, I gave in and let the boys watch the way too violent movie “The Last Samurai” with Tom Cruise, provided to them by their well-meaning uncle before he had children of his own (proving that although I have my good moments, in the end, I’m sometimes just a tired homeschooling mom who might give in to things she shouldn’t for a moment’s peace).

No comments:

Post a Comment