Saturday, December 15, 2012

Tragedy in America


In general, I am an impressionable person. I get wrapped up in other people’s stories and emotional state, and I cry more than other people – I think – about things that really shouldn’t concern me. I can even get choked up at the end of stories related to our school work, for example Anne Frank’s diary, that I read out loud to the boys.

When terrible, horrible things happen in the world, like yesterday, I have trouble keeping my eyes dry, and it’s much worse now that I am pregnant. But at least yesterday I wasn’t the only one crying – I saw President Obama on television wipe tears from his face as he addressed the nation, and I’m pretty sure he can’t blame it on pregnancy hormones either.

I think of these poor children, their families, friends and community, and as a parent I imagine what it must be like to go through something like this. It’s unfathomable. To come home and see your child’s toys, clothes, even wrapped Christmas presents hidden away in closets, and know that your boy or girl is gone forever. You will never speak to them, hug them or read to them again. Like President Obama put it, “They had their entire lives ahead of them — birthdays, graduations, weddings, kids of their own…” Gone.

When I got home last night, after I heard the news, I walked into my boys’ bedrooms and hugged and kissed them more than usual. I’m sure a lot of you did too. Kissed and hugged your own kids, that is. Did you cry too?

1 comment:

  1. I heard just before I headed into the city for a pile of errands. I avoided the radio, because I knew I couldn't hear that over and over. It didn't matter... I cried off and on all day, all today as well. How can this sort of thing happen? I'm sending my heart to those families and friends of those killed, and those who had their innocence ripped away. How will they ever recover from this? I'm also wishing the media would tone it down a bit. We need to support the victims in this, but not glorify the heinous crime. I saw this concept touched on somewhere else, but I wish we could have a day where it's as easy to access mental health care as it is a gun. So yes, I cried, and yes, I hugged my children close.

    ReplyDelete