Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Left alone with a boring mama


The Professor left for a conference in Scotland on Saturday night. He messaged me when he got there, “I made it. It’s SO cold!” Summer in Scotland is colder than winter in Beirut, I guess, because he is wearing his winter clothes; long sleeved dress shirt, a knitted vest and dress pants, and he was still freezing. Poor husband. Or not. He’s staying at a conference center in beautiful Scotland, home of the single malts, doing what he loves the most – engage in philosophical discussions with interesting colleagues from all over the world.

Last night the two older boys went with a friend to his family’s summer house in the mountains north of Beirut. It’s their first sleep-over away from home for as long as I can remember. Because of their sleep-walking. talking and night fright issues, we usually turn down sleep-over invitations, but this is a family that we trust, and we thought it was time to give it a shot. The boys are after all older now and they can look after each other. I haven’t heard anything yet, so I’m assuming all has gone well.

As a result, I found myself completely alone with our three-year old for a day and a night, realizing that’s probably a first, ever. Of course I take him out, just the two of us, sometimes, and we spend alone-time together at home, but it’s the first time ever that we were alone in the house for more than a couple of hours. I took him for a long walk around town, we went for ice-cream, spent a fair amount of time reading, had sushi take-out, and then hung out while I tried to work (unfortunately, I have a deadline).

This morning when he woke up, he walked around the house, and then came back to bed with me. (He always spends the morning with the boys.) While we cuddled I asked, “Is it nice to have mama all to yourself?”which he answered with the question, “When are my boys coming home, mama?” Got it. I’m boring and you can’t wait until your brothers get back.

So now we are waiting for their arrival, while I try to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment