Sunday, March 6, 2011

Watching Swedish movies in Beirut


Last night Courtney and I finally watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, or The Man Who Hates Women, as it’s called in Swedish. Courtney thought it was boring, slow, that the plot was too simple, and that the movie was way too long. I loved every moment of it: the familiar sites, the views, the Swedish kitchen utensils, the roads and houses, signs, the language, the actors – older, Swedish famous actors that I’ve watched on screen for as long as I can remember (Sven-Bertil Taube is a legend!) – everything about the movie made me happy. The plot was very Swedish, or rather Scandinavian, as was the pace of the movie. It was perfect. And, it was as close to taking a trip to Sweden as I will get for the moment. Watching the movie, as horrible as the story was at times – the rape scene made me sick to my stomach - gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling of comfort and familiarity (and it wouldn’t be a true Scandinavian movie without a rape scene anyways). And homesick for Sweden.

I’ve asked Courtney to get a hold of In a Better World (The Revenge, in Swedish), which won an Oscar last week. I can’t wait to see it! Another mental trip to my favorite country.

No comments:

Post a Comment