Saturday, August 11, 2012

Daybook - Saturday, 11 August, 2012


Outside my window…

Sunny, hot and quiet. I imagine most people are at home, getting ready to celebrate Eid El Fitr tonight, which marks the end of Ramadan. After a few days of swimming and sun, I am taking a break from the beach today, trying to get some projects finished inside (where we have the A/C running, full blast).

I am wearing…

My red shorts, which I am so happy to be able to fit into – I bought them before we moved to Cairo, but this is the first summer since then that they actually fit me. I am also wearing my black&white checkered blouse, which is way too big, since I bought it one year ago, when I was at my biggest. The two don’t match, and I wouldn’t leave the house like this, but for today, it’s a good outfit.

I am listening to…

The kids got the Duplos poured out all over the living room floor and are playing all kinds of creative, imaginary games. Hearing the 3-year old alter his voice to act different characters is totally cracking me up!

Towards an education…

I would like to start school back up in two or three weeks, but we won’t have any of our new material. In fact, we will not have our new books until the Husband comes back from the US – on 18 September. Although it may sound like it, it’s not bad planning – there’s nothing we can do about it: I can’t buy our books here, or order our school material to Lebanon, and even if I could, I will not have the money to order anything until the end of this month anyways. So what do we do during this time, as not to waste these precious first weeks of school? This is what I am thinking about right now.

Around the house…

The school room is coming together nicely, although I still have to go in for the final push and organize all the little things, like art supplies, materials, manipulatives, etc. I should probably decorate the walls too, although putting anything up on the walls is always a big challenge here. The bookshelf in the living room is almost done as well – it has over the past weeks slowly gone from a chaotic dumping ground to looking like an actual bookshelf. Even if we don’t have any new books for our school start, at least our house will be set up and ready!

From the kitchen…

Salads! Lots and lots of summer salads. A family favorite lately has been this salad, which is very colorful and popular especially among the younger members of this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment